The Lahti Radio Station History

Regular radio broadcasts reached Finnish listeners already by 1923.  The radio Amateur Association in Lahti (Lahden Radioharrastajat ry) began transmissions in 1924. Finnish Broadcasting Company (Oy Suomen Yleisradio Ab) began its operation on september 1926 and its first major transmitter was situated in Lahti because of the town's central location in Finland.

Lahti became a broadcasting town famous for its steel lattice aerial masts and for the old radio station. The first central radio station in Lahti was inaugurated in 1928. The new and more powerful station was completed in 1935.


The Lahti transmitter and radio masts were in use by 1928, the transmitter's initial capacity was 25 kW and it rose to 40 kW in 1929. At the time, Lahti was one of the most powerful radio stations in Europe. A new AM station designed by Kaarlo Könönen was built in 1935. Regular broadcasting started in December 1935 with an increased capacity of 150 kW, which covered the south of the country up to Jyväskylä in Central Finland. The short wave transmitter Lahti II and Lahti III started broadcasting between 1938 and 1940 and were in operation untill 1949. Two 100 kW long wave transmitters were acquired in 1953, the same year that the first VHF transmitter started broadcasting.


Regular television broadcasts began at Lahti in 1958. In 1967 the VHF and television operations were moved to Tiirismaa. Long-wave broadcasts from the AM station continued until May 1993. Today the radio masts are still in active use.