korkeus

Artjärvi ratula 23 päärakennus 2Artjärvi Ratula Päärakennus 5

The Artjärvi Local Heritage Museum

The Artjärvi Local Heritage Museum is the oldest museum of its kind in the Päijät-Häme region. The land for the farmhouse museum area was donated in 1923 by Gustaf Alexander and Märtha Rotkirch, owners of nearby Ratula manor at the time.

The museum features a traditional farmyard area flanked by buildings from the 18th and 19th centuries. Dating from 1757, the main building was moved to the site from Sääksjärvi village in Iitti. The carvings of the doors and window frames of the house are of highly skilled craftsmanship. Along with local vernacular buildings there is also a cabin that served as the study of the owner of the manor and for which the local painter Martti Koivisto made murals. There is also a pavilion made of shingles that served as a prayer room for Madame Aline, the wife of the owner. At present, school-related exhibits are on show. A former state granary near the church has local artefacts on show and contains a large archive collection on local heritage which is available for research use by appointment. The building itself is from 1823.

The museum is maintained by the Artjärvi local heritage association.

Address: Ratula, Artjärvi 
Open: June - July Sundays from noon to 2 p.m. During Artjärvi Days 15. - 19.7.2010 museum is open daily.
Enquiries: Tel. 03 7601 277