korkeus

asikkala-kirkko-1.jpegasikkala-kirkko-2.jpeg

Asikkala Church

The congregation of Asikkala separated from the Parish of Hollola in 1848. Asikkala's "million-brick church", designed by the architect Georg Wilenius in the revival style was built in 1880 on a hill where the local granary was situation. Standing on a prominent site, the large church seats 1,200. The altarpiece was painted by Robert Wilhelm Ekman in 1862, and was already in use in the previous church. The stained-glass works in the choir by the painter Lauri Ahlgrén are from 1983 and they symbolize, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Preceding the present church was a late 17th-century wooden church of cruciform plan in the area of the present-day cemetery. It was torn down in 1892, and the lower part of its belfry now serves as the entrance to the cemetery.

Next to the church is a granary built in 1840, now housing a museum of artefacts of the Asikkala local heritage association. On the outcrop of bedrock next to the granary is a monument to Major-General Aaro Pajari (1897-1949), who was born in Asikkala.

Address: Kirkkotie 42, Asikkala kk
Enquiries: Tel. (03) 766 6474, asikkalan.seurakunta(at)evl.fi
www.asikkalanseurakunta.fi

Kalkkinen Church

The village church of Kalkkinen was built as a chapel in 1909-1910 and consecrated as a church in 1961. It was designed by the local master-builder Kalle Nyman. The altarpiece depicts Jesus visiting Martha and Maria.
Divine services are held once a month in the church.

Address: Haikealantie 5, 17240 Kalkkinen
asikkalan.seurakunta(at)evl.fi