korkeus

hartola-kirkko-1.jpeghartola-kirkko-2.jpeg

Hartola Church

Hartola separated from the Parish of Sysmä in 1784, although it is also mentioned as a church parish already in 1398. A wooden cruciform-plan church was built between 1684 and 1693. It was dismantled in 1928 and moved to Pertunmaa, where it is still in use. A monument to the old church stands at the beginning of the birch lane leading to the East Häme Adult Education Institute. The present church of Hartola was built of granite in 1911-1913 according to the designs of the architect Josef Stenbäck, who also designed the stained-glass altarpiece. The original concrete-shingle roof was replaced with copper sheeting at the turn of the 1950s and 1960s, when the interior of the church was also repainted. Hartola Church was reconsecrated in 1966.

Near the church is a cemetery with a section for the war dead. The memorial to the war dead is by the sculptor Heikki Konttinen and was unveiled in 1955. The memorial from 1956 to the deceased who remained in ceded Karelia is by the sculptor Veikko Leppänen. Also in the cemetery is the statue "Kneeling Girl" by V. Höykinpuro from 1967.

Hartola Church is part of Finland's highway church programme.

Address: Keskustie 57, Hartola
Open: 8.6.-23.8.2009 11 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Further information : www.evl.fi/srk/hartola (in Finnish)