korkeus

heinola-kirkko-1.jpegheinola-kirkko-2.jpeg

Heinola Church

Heinola originally belonged to the greater parish of Hollola. The Chapelric of Heinola was established in 1630, and the first clergyman was appointed in 1686. The local church served the Governor's Residence, founded in 1776, until 1812, when a chaplain was appointed to the residence, where a separate chapel was established. The town congregation of Heinola was founded in 1917, being separated from the original congregation of Heinola.
The Evangelical-Lutheran Congregation of Heinola was instituted on 1 January 2007 to replace the former rural and town congregations.

The church of Heinola is situated in Siltakatu street in the city centre. The wooden church is of longiform octagonal plan and was built between 1807 and 1811. In theological terms, six walls of the church symbolize the six days of Creation, the seventh the day of rest, and the eight wall symbolizing eternity. The belfry was built in 1842.

There are two altarpieces in the church, both of them painted by Robert Wilhelm Ekman in 1863 and having themes of the Way of the Cross and the Resurrection. The oval stained-glass piece of the Birth of Christ is a German work from 1925. The stained-glass window is by Karin Mascitti-Slotte from 1963 and shows life in Heinola under the blessing hands of God. The church seats approximately 450.

Next to the church, facing Siltakatu street, is a statue (1954) by Veikko Leppänen in memory of the deceased who remained in Karelia, ceded to Russia in World War II, and there is a relief by Armas Tirronen from 1952 in the section of the cemetery for the war dead. In the west end of the old section of the cemetery is a sculpted memorial by Yrjö Kaikuvuo to those who died for their convictions in the Finnish civil war of 1918.

The church of Heinola is part of the highway church programme.

Address: Siltakatu 18, Heinola
Open: 9.6.-15.8.2009 Tue.-Sun. 11 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Further information: www.heinolanseurakunta.fi (in Finnish)

The Church of the Rural Congregation of Heinola
The village of Heinola is situated north of the city. The church on a hill and the adjacent cemetery and vicarage are a site of cultural and historic value. Surrounded by the cemetery, the cruciform-plan church dates from 1755. The transepts taper outwards, and the faces of the roof, with special shingle patterns, are of slightly curved shape. The present appearance of the church is from the 1930s, when alterations were carried out according to designs by the architect Kauno S. Kallio. The mural paintings of the interior are by the painter Hannes Malin of Heinola. The church seats between 800 and 900 persons.

The wooden, two-storey belfry was built in 1834 and is younger than the church, while the two bells are older, having been cast in Stockholm in 1755 and 1772. Both the belfry and the church were repainted in 2005 for the 250th anniversary celebration of the church.

Further information:
Heinolan seurakuntayhtymä (in Finnish)