korkeus

heinola-km-1.jpegheinola-km-2.jpeg

The Heinola City Museum

The Heinola City Museum presents the history of the region from the late 18th century to the 1930s, interiors of 19th-century middle-class homes, collections of medals and coins, objects designed by Anja Juurikkala for the Arabia porcelain factory in Helsinki, samples from the museum's collections of glass and porcelain, and temporary exhibitions on various themes.

The Heinola City Museum's collections focus on the history of the locality. Additions are also made to the collections with objects representing different periods and styles: furniture, glass, porcelain and textiles. Major entities consist of the Henry Lönnfors Collection, the porcelain of the Spranger Collection, objects deigned by Anja Juurikkala and the dowry of Sandra Eskola.

The museum building was completed in 1872 according to designs singed by the surveying engineer A. F. Stormbom. The house was commissioned by the merchant Ulrik Lindholm, (1825-1890) from Hollola. Lindholm amassed a fortune including a distillery and several trading houses. He bequeathed his property to social needs to help poor children and among other property the present museum building to the town of Heinola, which soon converted it into a town hall. When the house converted to use as a museum in the early 1980s, its original appearance was restored by revealing the original wide floor planks, moving walls to their original locations and by closing later doorways and fenestration. The Heinola City Museum was established in 1964 and it has operated in its present location since 1984.

Address: Kauppakatu 14, 18100 Heinola
Open: Tue., Thu.-Sun. Noon - 4 p.m., Wed. Noon- 8 p.m., Mon. closed
Entrance: joint ticket Heinola City Museum, Heinola Art Museum and Galleria Lambert Adults € 7, students € 4, groups min. 15 persons € 6/person
Guided tours: € 25, evenings and weekends € 45
Enquiries: (03) 849 3651, fax (03) 715 2137, museo(at)heinola.fi
Further information: Exhibition 30.5.-12.9.2010 : "Laila Zink (1915 - 1999) - From Heinola to Kupittaa Clay-factory"