korkeus

karkola-muut-1.jpegkarkola-muut-2.jpeg

Huovila Park

The park of Huovila manor is situated in the main village of Kärkölä. It was established in the late 19th century by the engineer Carl Constantin Collin, who inherited Huovila manor, owned by his father, Court Counsellor Carl Johan Collin. Carl Constantin Collin had graduated in engineering in Paris in 1888. In Finland, he instituted reforms at the estate, and had the park laid out for his own pleasure. Collin spent a lot of time abroad, and built a residence called Villa Huovila in Nice in the 1910s. He spent the summers, however, in Finland, where he died in 1941. He is buried in the cemetery at Kärkölä Church.

The municipality of Kärkölä bought the park area in the 1950s. It was renovated between 1997 and 2001, with the aim of restoring its appearance during Collin's years. Approximately four hectares in area, the park includes four ponds, two summerhouses and the foundations of a castle structure begun in 1909 but left unfinished. A 700-metre lane of silver firs leads to the park.
Situated in connection with the part are the Kärkölä local heritage museum and a cafeteria.
www.huovila.net (in Finnish)

Café Tähkä

The functionalist-influenced cafeteria opposite the church was designed by master builder Jussi Vigren and originally built in 1939 as a café run by the Lotta Svärd women's auxiliary of the Civil Guards organization. The building was enlarged in the 1950s and 1960s and it operates as a lunch restaurant and cafeteria.

Monuments

Monument to Valo Nihtilä

The monument to Colonel Valo Nihtilä (1896-1973), who born at Kärkölä, was erected by local reservist officers and war veterans in 1983. It is located next to Nihtilä farm on road no. 295 leading to the main village. Among his other duties, Valo Nihtilä taught at the predecessor of the present-day National Defence University and was head of the operational section of the Finnish General Headquarters during the Second World War.

The railway builders' cemetery

During the years when the Riihimäki - St Petersburg railway line (completed 1870) was under construction, large numbers of the workers died of contagious diseases, as the period of construction had been preceded by years of crop failure and famine in Finland. A separate cemetery was established in the village of Hähkäniemi in Järvelä for the deceased workers.