korkeus

web_ortodoksikirkko.jpgweb2_ristinkirkko_neg36443.jpg

Ristinkirkko Church

Ristinkirkko Church is in the centre of Lahti, on Kolkanmäki Hill at the end of Mariankatu street. In the townscape of Lahti, this street joins two centres of power in society: Eliel Saarinen's City Hall representing secular authority, and the church as the symbol of spiritual authority. The wooden church of Lahti, built in 1890, stood on the hill and was torn down in 1977 to make way for the new church.

The Evangelical-Lutheran congregations of Lahti invited Alvar Aalto (1898-1976) to design Keski-Lahti Church, the central church of the city. Upon completion in 1978, the church was named Ristinkirkko (Church of the Cross). The building is dominated by a cross design formed by 52 windows and a massive belfry of concrete. The triangular form of the interior space directs the attention of visitors towards the altar.

Ristinkirkko Church is also involved in cultural pursuits, being a venue for concerts, exhibitions, celebrations and other events, the most important of which is the Lahti International Organ Festival.
The sculpture Spirit of Freedom by Wäinö Aaltonen stands in the cemetery for the war dead near the church.

Ristinkirkko Church is part of Finland's highway church programme.

Address: Kirkkokatu 4, Lahti
Open: 18.5.-30.8.2009 Mon-Fri 9.30 a.m. - 6 p.m.; Sat-Sun 10 am - 3 pm.
Further information: Summer concerts Monday evenings 15.6.-10.8.2009 7 pm.
Lahden seurakuntayhtymä - The Evangelical-Lutheran Congregations of Lahti (in Finnish)

The Church of the Holy Trinity

The Orthodox Congregation of Lahti began its work in 1950. It serves region of Päijät-Häme and parts of the Kanta-Häme and Uusimaa regions. The church was designed by the architect Toivo Paatela and completed in 1955. It was consecrated in honour of the Holy Trinity by Bishop Aleksanteri on 9 December 1956. The iconostasis was designed by Protodeacon Leo Kasanko, and the main icons were painted by Irene Schütz.
The renovated Church of the Holy Trinity was reconsecrated on 6 January 2006.

The Church of the Holy Trinity in Lahti is a church belonging to Finland's highway church programme.