korkeus

web_lanupuisto_1.jpgweb_mukkula2.jpg

The Ankkuri area

For many years the Vesijärvi station in the lake port at Lahti had a busy railway station. Now there is a café in the station building and only the Puksu City Train goes to the port. The port area features restaurant boats, events of various kinds and modern urban development, the Pro Puu Gallery and the Sibelius Hall with the wooden architecture part emerging around it. Walking routes lead from the port area to Kariniemi Park and Pikku-Vesijärvi Park. .

Puuarkkitehtuuripuisto - Wood Architecture Perk (in English)
Sibeliustalo - Sibelius Hall (in English)

Fellman Park and the Monument to the Red Prisoners

Fellman Park was built in the 1950s on the fields of Lahti Manor. Species growing there include the katsura tree , horse chestnut, poplar and conifers. In 1978 a monument to Red prisoners of the 1918 civil war of bronze and red granite by Erkki Kannosto was erected in the park. At the end of the civil war in 1918, the fields were the site of a camp where Red prisoners were collected, holding 20,000 male prisoners and thousands of women with their children.

Lahden kaupunki/Puistot (in Finnish)

Kariniemi Park

Kariniemi Park, also known as "Lanu Park", is an officially protected grove hill near the centre of Lahti. Amidst the wide range of luxuriant vegetation are works in concrete by sculptor Olavi Lanu of Lahti. The Kariniemi residential area next to the ridge has survived in almost original condition and is a collection of family house architecture of the 1930s and 1940s and apartment buildings of the 1940s and 1950s.

Lahden kaupunki/Puistot (in Finnish)

Lahti City Hall and park

Designed by Eliel Saarinen, Lahti City Hall was built in 1912. In 1934, an annex designed y Kaarlo Könönen was added to it. Saarinen also participated in the design of the park between Harjukatu and Puistokatu streets opening up to the east of the building. The Lahti City Council and City Government meet in the building in the traditional manner. It is also the location of the main city office and a large number of different meeting and conference rooms.

Mukkula Manor

The estate of Mukkula (Mokulla) on Lake Vesijärvi is from mentioned in sources from as early as the 15th century, and its owners are known since 1539. The manor passed from the von Hausen family to the City of Lahti in 1959. The main building dates from 18th century, but it was altered during the following centuries. Surviving courtyard buildings include two wings, an overseer's house, a gate tower and a sauna on the lake. The manor park was laid out in the late 19th century.
Mukkula Manor is presently in use as a hotel, restaurant and conference venue. An international meeting of writers has been held there since 1963 every other year, alternating with the Lahti Poetry Marathon.
Mukkulan kartano (in English)

Pikku-Vesijärvi Park

This English-style landscape park was laid out in the centre of Lahti on the lands of the manor in the 1950s. The park surrounds a former bay of Lake Vesijärvi and there are numerous species of trees in the area. In recent years, the park has been refurbished to become the city's most important green zone. Its attractions include an impressive water organ.

The Salpausselkä Sports Centre

The ski-jump ramps of Salpausselkä are landmarks of Lahti along with the city's radio masts. The Salpausselkä Ski Centre began to be built in 1922. Salpausselkä ridge came to be selected as the site of the skiing stadium because of its suitable terrain. The first ski-jump ramp, designed by the Norwegian engineer Robert Pehrson was built in 1922. The present large ramp (height 115 metres) was built in 1972. The ramp designed by the architects Sulo Järvinen and Erik Liljeblad was awarded the 1971 prize for the concrete construction of the year in Finland. The smaller ramps (K 90 ja K 64) were built in 1977 and 1978. The Ski Museum designed by the architect Esko Hämäläinen as an extension of the ski-jump stands was built in 1989 and has an annex designed by Pekka Salminen and completed in 2000.

The look-out at the top of the large ramp offers a view of Lahti, and in the summer months an open-air swimming pool is in use at the Sport Centre. The Skier Statue by Viktor Jansson and the statue of the woman skier Siiri Rantanen by Toivo Pelkonen are also in the grounds of the Sport Centre.

Taidepanimo - The Art Brewery

The former Mallasjuoma Brewery Building from 1912, a historical landmark of Lahti, now houses Taidepanimo - The Art Brewery - with temporary exhibitions, a graphics studio, shop and café.

Taidepanimo (in Finnish)

The Laune Family Park

A recreational park for the whole family with guided activities both indoors and out and featuring slides, climbing structures, a play traffic town, cabins for pastimes and a fortress.
Lahden kaupunki/Puistot (in Finnish)

The Yli-Marola 4H Domestic Animal Yard

The countryside right in the city. Visitors can see the animals of the yard from May until late August. Special activity days and heritage events are also arranged.
Yli-Marolan 4H-kotieläinpiha (in Finnish)