korkeus

web_isoformaaki.jpgweb_alikartano.jpg

Alikartano manor

Alikartano manor was acquired by the Nordenskiöld family in 1709, and it remained in the remained in the family for over two centuries. The Nordenskiölds included many gifted scientists and explorers. The world-famous explorer Adolf Erik Nordenskiöld (1832-1901), who discovered the Northeast Passage, spent his childhood at Alikartano. The present main building was erected in 1805 according to the designs of Adolf Gustaf Nordenskiöld (1745-1821). It is of an interesting layout with a centrally located drawing room. The drawing room on the ground floor extends up to the full height of the building, receiving light from the windows of an upper gallery and the doors opening onto the room.

Part of the museum interior has been given a 19th-century decor. The exhibits also present the scientific interests and achievements of the Nordenskiölds. Alikartano manor was opened to the public in 1983.
There is a history and nature path in the valley of a brook flowing near the manor. The path presents interesting aspects of the history of the manor.

The museum is maintained by the National Board of Antiquities. 

Address: Nummistentie 48, 04660 Numminen (Mäntsälä)
Open: 15.5.-29.8.2010, Wed. - Sun. from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. (closed 25.6.2010), groups by appointment in May and September.
Entrance: Adults € 4, discount ticket € 3 (students, persons over 65, national servicemen and groups of over 10 persons), groups of pupils and students with accompanying teacher free of charge
Guided tours: Guided tours in Finnish, Swedish and English.
Guided tour fees for groups € 22 (during museum hours) and € 44 (outside museum hours).
Bookings for guided tours tel. (019) 688 3398, (09) 4050 9577 (winter)
Enquiries: Tel. (019) 688 3398 (summer 15.5.-31.8.), tel. (09) 405 09577 (winter), alikartano(at)nba.fi
Further information: Museum shop at the ticket counter, http://www.nba.fi/fi/alikartano (in English)