korkeus

kirvu_nimi.jpgkirvu.jpg

The Kirvu Parish Museum

Founded in 1985, the Kirvu Parish Museum is situated on the church hill at Mäntsälä. This museum presents the former parish of Kirvu in South Karelia, which was ceded to Russia during the Second World War. Most of the former inhabitants of Kirvu were resettled in Mäntsälä and the Kirvu Foundation has established a museum and a large archive collection. The museum is housed in one of the two granaries on the church hill, and displays the history of the Kirvu Spa, felt factories in Kirvu and the life of minister Juho Niukkanen, who was born in Kirvu. An important aspect of the museum collections naturally consists of the objects of individuals and families with strong emotional ties with their former home region.

Karelians mainly from Kirvu and Koivisto were relocated in Mäntsälä. When the Evangelical-Lutheran congregations of the ceded areas were discontinued in 1949, Mäntsälä experienced a statistical influx of a total of 2,006 persons, of whom 997 came from Kirvu and 669 from Koivisto. This figure does not include all the Karelians relocated in Mäntsälä, as some of them had already joined the local congregation earlier.

The Second World War led to major changes in land ownership in Mäntsälä. Resettlement legislation increased the number of farms while their size diminished. The new situation had major impact on many of the manors at Mäntsälä. The immense landed property of the Eklöf company, which owned Sälinkää manor, was decimated and the Ylikartano estate in Numminen had to hand over most of its lands to the authorities, because its owner was classified as a part-time farmer. Saari manor had already been taken over by the state and several farms were formed from it. Mäntsälä manor was also required to provide a large amount of land for resettlement.

Address: On the hill by the church
Open: By appointment
Entrance: Free entrance
Enquiries: Municipal counsellor Soini Hämäläinen tel. (019) 6871 666