korkeus

web_nastola_kiviaita.jpgweb_nastola_immilan_mylly.jpg

Immilä Mill 

Flour was already ground at the rapids of Immilä in the Middle Ages, and the oldest written information on the mills there dates from 1548. The first sawmill at Immilä was built in the 1760s, by which time the nearby hill was inhabited and also had an inn. The 19th century saw the arrival of more inhabitants, and a village craftsmen and millers arose on the hill. Even after the Second World War, there were three flour mills, two sawmills and a hydroelectric power plant with additional machinery (including a shingle-cutting plane) in the rapids at Immilä. The last of these to close down was the sawmill, in May 1969.

The Immilä mill and the old buildings near it were restored in 1997-1999, and since then the mill has been open to visitors. In addition to the old mill, there is an exhibition each summer. Its themes have included old mills of the locality, old maps and post cards, and oral tradition on mill elves and folk beliefs. The mill has become a popular destination for local visitors and it makes use of local history and knowledge of the locality in its activities. The mill also features a summer theatre and recitation performances. Especially popular events are community singing evenings at the rapids, fairs, special events and summer festivities also involving the nearby meeting hall (Seurantalo),

On nearby Myllymäki hill is the Immilän Myllykahvila café, noted for its high standard and also featuring also a sales exhibition of crafts. A new feature introduced in the summer of 2006 is 
guide map of heritage sites at Myllymäki. Guided tours are held on Sundays.

Immilän mylly (in Finnish)

The Taarasti Art Centre 

The Taarasti Art Centre is on the shore of Lake Pikku-Kukkanen near the Matinpalo Museum and the local heritage museum. Built in 1990, the exhibition facility was designed by Erkki Aarti. The Taarasti Art Centre is maintained by the Nastola Art Association and is a venue for temporary exhibitions, concerts and summer theatre performances.
Nastolan kunta/Taarasti (in Finnish)

Monuments 

Cemetery for Soviet prisoners of war 

In 1941, Finland's main camp for prisoners of war was established at Nastola. The area of the camp extended from the present site of the school in the main village to Ristola farm. During the Finnish-Soviet Continuation War of 1941-1944, a total of 64,188 Russian prisoners of war were held in camp. Healthy prisoners worked on local farms but many who remained in the camp died of diseases such as typhus. A total of 1,055 prisoners were buried in Nastola between 1941 and 1944.
Unveiled in 1987, the statue Mother Earth by the Russian sculptor Vladimir Feodorov is on Kausantie road near the centre of Nastola. 

Memorial to railway builders

Work on the railway from Riihimäki to St. Petersburg began on 18 April 1868. There were many epidemics among the workers, and for example a typhus epidemics killed large numbers of railway builders, for whom separate cemeteries had to be cleared and consecrated. The monument to the railways builders was erected in 1990 at Uusikylä, where railway builders are said to be buried. 

Stone fence along the railway 

Built in the 1860s, this stone fence is approximately 10 kilometres long, beginning at Uusikylä and ending in Iitti on the other side of the municipal boundary. It was built to prevent cattle grazing the forest from straying into the railway constructions sites and later onto the tracks. The fence was built solely by women and children. 
Nastolan kunta/Muistomerkit (in Finnish)