korkeus

web_orimattilan_kirkko.jpgweb3_kuivannon_kirkko.jpg

Orimattila Church

Orimattila was a chapelric of the parish of Greater Hollola until 1636, when it became a separate congregation by a royal order issued by Queen Christina.
The present church, a granite structure of cruciform plan, is the congregation's fourth church . It cam under construction in 1862 and was completed in the famine year of 1866. The stones for the walls were quarried at Niemenkylä. A large number of stones were needed, as this temple designed by Jean Wik was huge, originally planned to seat 1,700. Jean Wik also designed Mäntsälä Church.

The three naves of the interior are divided by wooden pillars. The middle nave has a wooden barrel vault, while the side naves are fitted with flat ceilings. The galleries of the side naves were removed in 1932. Major repairs and renovations have been carried out in the church in the 1930s, 1960s, 1970s and 1990s. In renovation work conducted in 1991, the round window of the altar end was revealed and restored after having been bricked up for 60 years. The upper level of the sacristy was refurbished in 1994 to serve as a chapel, and a major renovation of the interior painting and lighting was carried out in 2000. The church currently has seats for 1,200.

The new ecclesiastical textiles were designed by the textile artist Maisa Kaarna, the altar and processional crosses and the candelabra were designed by the sculptor Niels Haugeland. After the painting renovation, the church now has a spacious and well-lit appearance. The traditional oil-base paints and colours used in the renovation allude to the 1930s. An important detail is also the lighting. The old chandeliers were cleaned and sixteen large light fittings designed by Sauli Havas were installed. The renovation of the church also took into account children with families. There is a separate area in the rear part of the church where children can play during the services.

Above the pulpit is the pelican, the symbol of God's love. On the right wall on the side is a figurine possibly depicting the Apostle Peter, which was found at Mallusjoki. On the table beneath the figurine is a facsimile version of the Finnish Bible of 1642. The present 41-register organ was designed by Professor Enzio Forsblom and made by the Veikko Virtanen organ-building firm in 1972. The altarpiece, "Come Unto Me", painted by E. J. Löfgren in 1874, was donated by Count Adolf Aminoff.

The belfry was built in 1851. It was raised in height in connection with repairs carried out in 1932 and was fitted with an open lantern. There are four church bells, the oldest from 1658. The fourth one is a church bell from Kirvu suspended from the ceiling of the bottom storey of the belfry.

The cemetery has most probably been in its present location next to the church since the founding of the congregation. The new part of the cemetery on the opposite side of Kirkkotie road was taken into use in 1907. In the cemetery for the war dead 294 fallen soldiers of the Winter War and Continuation War lie buried. Near the cemetery for the war dead is a memorial to the deceased who remained in ceded Karelia. Outside the church, at the sacristy end, is a monument to Finland's first Sunday School (1954). It was founded in the 1780s at Orimattila by Chaplain Petteri Sanngren.

Orimattila Church is part of Finland's highway churches programme.

Address: Kirkkotie 4, Orimattila
Open: 8.6.-9.8.2009 11 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Orimattilan seurakunta (in Finnish)

Kuivanto Church 

The villagers of Kuivanto had wished to have their own chapel since the 18th century. Kuivanto Church was built in 1930-1931. The plans were by Heikki Tiitola and the building work was the responsibility of master builder Kalle Juselius. The church was consecrated on 28 December 1931. The altarpiece by the artist Väinö Hervo was installed in December 1939, in the early days of the Winter War of 1939-1940. Services began to be held in new church every second Sunday. 

The church and its surroundings were refurbished between 1998 and 2000. In 2003, new ecclesiastical textiles were obtained, designed by the textile artist Maisa Kaarna. In 2004 a new digital organ. The church has seats for 300 visitors.

Sunday divine service is held at noon once a month during the winter and at 7 p.m. in the summer months.