korkeus

web_padasjoenkirkko.jpgweb_padasjoenkirkko4.jpg

Padasjoki Church 

Padasjoki originally belonged to the parish of Hollola. Slightly before the middle of the 15th century, the congregation of Sysmä separated from Hollola, and Padasjoki became a chapelric of the parish of Sysmä. Padasjoki became a separate congregation in 1497 at the latest.

The first church in Padasjoki was at Nyystölä, on the hill where the monument to the War of the Clubs now stands. There was already a church in the 15th century on the hill where the present church stands. Built in 1926-1928, the present church is the fourth one at the site; the previous small wooden church of cruciform plan had been built in 1669 but burned down in 1924. The present plastered brickwork long-plan church with a gable tower was built according to designs by the architect W.G. Palmqvist.

The altarpiece by Aleksandra Frosterus-Såltin depicts the Resurrection. Like the chandeliers, sconces and altar candelabra, the altarpiece was also salvaged from the fire of the old church. Padasjoki Church was restored and a new organ was installed in 2001. The church seats 600.

Near the church are the old burial ground and the cemetery for the war dead. The monument to the war dead was designed by T.A. Tulokas. 
Padasjoki Church is part of Finland's highway churches programme. 

Address: Kirkkotie, Padasjoki
Open: 10.6.-10.8. 2009 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Further information: www.evl.fi/srk/padasjoki/